Saturday, January 25, 2014

2nd Week as a Peruvian

It has now been week number 2 here in Peru and it has already been a great experience. This week consisted of many different activities including Dr. Miller's class, trying to recover from the foreign country sickness :), Peruvian Lit (which may be the death of me), movie theater, our first discoteca experience, grammer class, combi rides, taxi rides, and hanging out with the group. It has been a week of laughs, jokes, and becoming a bit more comfortable with this culture.

School. It is going good. I love my conversation class that I have on Mondays. We talk about the most interesting topics and it doesn't matter if you have no idea what you are saying, our teacher is so willing to help us out. Now Jorge (who is a native Spanish speaker), on the other hand, finds us not so well Spanish speakers entertaining. But we are all trying to improve. Dr. Miller's psychology class is interesting and is in English so there is definitely nothing wrong with that. Our Peruvian Lit class is rough. It is hard and our poor teacher is trying to help us understand Peruvian literature. But as we all may know, English literature is hard so throwing us into a foreign literature is worse! And our last class grammer is a good class as well. Our teacher, Roberto, has worked with UNK students before and does a great job with us. Classes are going good its just that after the 3 hours of nothing but pure Spanish, my brain may or not be like jelly! :)

On Tuesday, Nikki, Amber, Missy, Adam, and I went to the movie "No Se Aceptan Devoluciones" and it was such a great movie!! I definitely recommend it to all! It is all in Spanish but I'm sure the subtitles would work out great. On Thursday, we had our first night out on the town experience. We went to the discoteca called "Aura" and it was so much fun! It consisted of dancing, dancing, and more dancing. Everyone in our group is so great and so protective. We all look our for each other and at the same time all know how to have a great time. We returned home by taxi about 3:00ish which to a lot of Peruvians that is early! WHAT? :)


 On Friday, we all decided to take it easy so Nikki, Amber, Missy, and I ordered in Domino's Pizza (everything delivers here, even McDonalds!) and watched the movie, The Wold of Wall Street. It was a very good movie but very long movie! When we all got home, we soon went to bed!

As I said, I have survived 2 weeks in Peru and talking to people that have gone in the past, they said that the first 2 weeks are the worst. This is because of homesickness, huge culture shock, and overall a rush of different emotions. I have experienced a lot of different emotions ranging from happy, fun, --> sad, and down in the dumps. But everyday is a new day and being with these people here from UNK, it makes this whole trip worthwhile. When I say I am with the best group, that's not even close to exaggerating! :) Adios

Things to look forward to:
--February 2nd-4th: Going to the Amazon :) ahhhh so excited
--February 5th-8th: Going to Machu Picchu :) one of the 7 wonders... Yes I am excited! :)
--Countless memories & great experiences: priceless :)

I'm a sucker for beautiful sunsets! 


This is my wonderful Peruvian family, Heidi, Victor, & Andrea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment