Monday, April 14, 2014

Where did the time go??

Hola de Lima, Peru!! I know it's been a little while since I last wrote, but sorry I have been oh so busy with this crazy thing called life here in Lima!! Welll...kinda. Where do I start? Today is day 94 which according to my calculations I only have 13 days left. As I type that out, I am excited, and sad at the same time. Well before I start getting all sappy and emotional, here is another portion of my life here in Lima.

Well last Saturday, we finally got it organized with our literature teacher to go and tour downtown Lima. Our literature teacher is something else. He's probably the most unorganized teacher I have ever met in my whole life. We have been trying to go on this tour for a couple weeks now, and finally we found a time that worked. We all met at UPC in the morning, but as weird as it sounds, our teacher was 30 minutes late! We all weren't too concerned since we kinda knew how he operated. We go to downtown Lima and tour a museum and then a cathedral. It was interesting and shocking all at the same time. Next thing I know, we are going into the Catacombs of the San Francisco Monestary!! I never in a million years would I think I would see so many human bones, let alone in a dungeon atmosphere. This is something I will never forget that is for sure. I wasn't able to take pictures while we were in there but I stole one off of the internet so you could get the full effect.
Catacombs- San Francisco Monastery

Monastery outside

That same night we were going out to eat and celebrate Adam's birthday. In my family, our birthdays are like national holidays and they are a big deal. Well my thought was, it is his birthday, he can’t be with his family and closest friends so we need to make this spectacular! (this may be why they call me mama Jen) So some of us went out to eat at TGI Friday’s. I know you all are thing “HOW AMERICAN” but sometimes here in Peru we like to remind us of home! And they put Applebee’s to shame with their birthday singing! Emily was the best and went and bought Adam his own personal crown because he was el rey of the night! Of course will a lot of good food, cold beverages, and a bill 800 soles later, we definitely had a great night! I think it was a pretty successful birthday for Adam in Lima, Peru.
Happy Birthday Adam!!!

Missy & I... I love her.

Gettin' down with it!! :)
Well the rest of our weeks and time have consisted of school, homework, Dr. Mills psychology research, and that’s about it. School is winding down fast and we are all trying out best to get the best grades possible. Even if a couple of our teachers are making this difficult…cough..cough.. Peruvian Lit & Conversation. Please let’s keep our fingers crossed that we all do great! Aside from our busy lives with school, Missy, Nikki, and I have become pros at laying out at the pool at my apartment. The people here might think we are crazy since it is getting into their winter but we just don’t wanna lose all of our progress before we go back! We have also of course made another stop at the Burrito Bar and were able to take Dr. Mill and Jeanie there. No surprise, they absolutely loved it!! We will definitely be going there again before we leave.

This last Friday, Nikki’s wonderful family wanted to have a fiesta for us! Get a group of 20 year olds and say the word fiesta, and you got a party to plan! And that’s exactly what we did. Her family threw us one of the best fiestas I have ever been too. Not to mention her family is absolutely amazing. They made us all feel right at home and as if we all belong to their family. Also not only was it a fiesta for us, it was Emily's birthday. So like I stated for Adams birthday, we wanted to make her day amazing! We danced, danced, danced, sang, ate, had a few refreshments and that was just the first hour!!!... No no just kidding. But we definitely did all that all night. Jaime & Giselle ( Nikki’s parents) were the life of the party and were even teaching us a few new dance moves. We didn’t party until the sun came up but we did party until the electricity went out! It was a great night with once again the greatest people.
These two have become my best friends for life. 

Love her!

She's the best!!

Missy, Marina, & I

Happy Birthday Emily & Adam!!

Some of the group

Happy Happy Birthday!!!
As you can tell as I have done my blogs, I have experienced some pretty crazy things and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I mean I am in South America for 4 months, not a lot of people can say that. However, as I type this, I know this is one of my last blogs which means my time here is coming to an end. Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine not waking up to the hustle and bustle of the 9 million people outside my window, not waking up in my twin bed (although I am super excited for my queen), not being in my 6th floor apartment with my family, and finally not seeing Lima outside my window. My family has been nothing but great to me and not seeing their faces or saying Buenos dias to them is gonna be rough. I have become so accustomed to this life, that  going back to Nebraska is scary but also so very exciting. I cannot wait to see my family and all of my friends and the familiarness of my little hometown. We only have 13 days left here, and holy crap that is crazy. These people here (aka UNKers) are my family. I wake up everyday, knowing I am going to see or at least talk to one of them. Thinking that in just a few short days, we will be in different parts of NE, is hard for me to imagine. But we have all made a promise to not forget each other and I am going to hold us too that. But that's all for now...Below I'm gonna post some more of our crazy shenanigans I never want to forget!! Choa! Adios!! xoxo see you soon family & friends! besos...

Shenanigans Peru 2014:
(This one is a little old but I forgot to post it earlier)
..Amber walking past Jorge. 
"I just scratched your scratch. Now it's gonna itch"-Jorge
"That was creepy."- Amber

The unluckiness of Jen Glinsmann- In a 3 month time period, walking to school, got pooped on twice on the same arm by a bird...

Walking home...something jumps from the tree scaring the crap out of Jorge and I.
"I thoutht that was a squirrel!!"-Jorge
"Except there aren't squirrels in Peru."-Me.. It was a cat.

From yours truly Jorge Vera Chavez.... Camel shaped hedges are impossible to ride. Yes that includes their tails.... (I definitely saw this whole thing happen.Hilarious!)

Jorge struggling to use his english when translating.
"Okay, so that's like a horse chair right?"-Jorge
"Um.. no like a saddle!"-Me

"Why is she talking?? I Had to go mix another drink to get away!" -Missy

Definition of an awful day here in Lima- Shower shut off mid washing hair, dropped toast on the floor peanut butter side down, get to campus & some Peruvian guys sneezes in the face, and 6 hours of conversation.... Yes I am not kidding that all happened to me in one day! 

Thats all for now! Adios!! Besos


No comments:

Post a Comment