Sunday, March 30, 2014

..Day 79...28 Days left..

Today marks day numero 79. What does that mean? Well probably not a lot to some people but to me that means I have breathed, ate, slept, partied, danced, studied, talked, dressed, and survived as a Peruvian for 79 days. 28 days left here in Lima. What does this mean to me? I have a lot of memories, studying, and crazy things to do before I leave. I know it's been a while since I wrote last, but my life here in Lima hasn't been to crazy and it almost feels like I've finally got adjusted to this lifestyle. So here's a little overview of my life these past couple weeks.

My family and I attended a birthday party for my grandma aka Victor's mom aka Daniel McKenzie's mom. We all headed over to their apartment and were celebrating this wonderful day for her. Jorge came and joined in the festivities because oddly enough my family really really loves him. Helen (one of the daughters) tells Jorge to tell me that there is going to be a surprise for the birthday girl; Norma (my grandma). They were going to have a Mariachi band come and play for her! I know cool right, her very own mariachi band for her birthday! When they arrived, they danced and danced the night away. Even with a sombrero and some cake and of course singing happy birthday in spanish!
Birthday Girl

Helen and I
School like always is just school. It is going good. Nikki and I started our research project for Dr. Miller’s psychology class. Our research is about family bonding here in Peru and also about meal times. We got a good start to our project, got our surveys handed out in no time, and now it’s time for the results and to write the final paper. On a side note, I think this week we have the chance to go into a school here so I am definitely excited for this opportunity. One thing I have come to realize while seeing students in high school or elementary schools here, they all wear uniforms. This was definitely interesting to me.

Last Friday night, something amazing happened, and that was Missy’s boyfriend Luke was coming to visit for 9 days. Even though he had no idea who I was, I was so excited he was coming, I think due to the fact that he is coming from Nebraska and seeing another Nebraskan in Lima, Peru was pretty darn exciting. He of course fit in wonderfully with our group. That Saturday we went to a beach in Asia. (Okay the pronunciation of this place is not Asia like the continent but instead it is pronounced hacia… this caused a little confusing in which I will explain later.) This beach was beautiful with no rocks, and lots of sand. We swam in the ocean (in which a wave kicked my butt and I swallowed a lot of the ocean..not so good) and played volleyball. It was a great day and due to Nikki’s expertise in flagging down a taxi, we rode comfortably on the way home. That night we went out to eat at Larcomar and then went to a discoteca. In the midst of these shenanigans, we met Omar who might possibly be the best bartender I’ve met in Peru. He was so much fun!! Maybe because we bought so many tequila shots! J  
At the beach in Asia. 

Ready for the discoteca!!

You would think that since I have grown up in Nebraska my whole life, my body would adjust to crazy weather and be okay with everything right?? Wrong…. Due to Lima, Peru having some ups and downs in their temperature all in the same day, I got a cold. I was not the only one suffering from this. My whole family was, so I guess it should be said for my family, if you’re gonna be sick, might as well be sick together! We are all slowly getting over it thankfully.

This past week, we went to a movie which was great but it was even better because we accompanied it with our Dr. Peppers that we oh so sneakily smuggled in. We also made another appearance at the Burrito Bar and the Parque de las Aguas aka the park with beautiful fountains. Not only was Luke here from Nebraska, but we also had another student named Megan, who was staying with Dr. Miller and Jeanie. She is here doing a research project so having not only 1 Nebraskan but 2, it was a little piece of home. The rest of the week consisted of hanging out and more laughter.

Last night, Brittney and her family hosted us a BBQ. BBQs always sound fun here because that means music and really really good food. We all headed over that at 9 and got the party started. We ate hamburgers (with cheese and bacon), hot dogs, chips, and of course a few cold beverages. It was so much fun and of course we had a blast dancing and making crazy fools out of ourselves trying to live up to the hip shaking dancing of the Peruvians. Hey I think we looked good no matter what. It was a great night with great people. 

As I have stated numerous times, these people I am here with are not only very near and dear to my heart but might possibly be the funniest people I have ever met. We have made some pretty fabulous memories and here are a few of them…

Bored sitting @ home-“Whatcha doing girl?”- Me
“Um…stuffing my face with popcorn and pinning!”- Missy
We have become champion Pinners.

Having a discussion in conversation table..
“Oh yeah like Libany… that’s a country.”-Me
“Um…no Fin that’s Lebanon.”- Missy

Waiting for the play….”Missy if fluent in Spanish. Let her have it! I’m almost fluent.”-Me
Missy may be fluent but Nikki knows about accent marks!

Discussion about which beach.
“Oh yeah Missy said we’re going to a beach called Asia.”-Me (I thought the place Asia was spelled Hacia.)
“No I think that’s Asia like the place where the beaches are.”- Jorge, Adam, & Nikki
“No Missy said Asia. That’s in Hacia right?”-Me
“No the places is spelled Asia.”- Jorge, Adam, & Nikki
“So it’s spelled like the continent?”-Me

Getting a taxi in Asia was a little difficult but thankfully Nikki flagged down a van that was so comfortable. Minus 20 minutes later a cop was pounding on the window. No worries we made it home safely!!

I guess it's a thing here to eat Halls as candy where as I thought they were only cough drops?? Crazy I know.

Jorge, Amber and I will produce either the next Step Up 5 or Stomp the Yard 2. Coming Soon in theaters.
A La Playa!! 


These of course are only just a few of the crazy memories we've made here but are yet again some of the best. When I started this adventure, I was going to be here for 107 days and now that I am on day 79 with only 28 left I am so excited but also very sad. I have become accustomed to this life here and even though I miss my family and friends like crazy I am going to miss my family and friends here like crazy when I go home. I talked with my host mom today and we both cannot believe I only have 4 weeks left. It is beyond crazy how fast this experience went. I look back and I know sometimes it was going so slow and I would ask myself, Jen are you really cut out for this? but now that the end is coming so fast, I know that I was and I am so happy I chose to do this. I will be able to see my friends and family 4 Sunday’s from now and I am already thinking…how the heck and I going to get everything packed up let alone run through the airport with all of my bags?? Well I will decided that when the time comes!! Adios!! Besos
 

No comments:

Post a Comment