Monday, February 17, 2014

...Cuando en el Perú... :)

So I have now bee in Lima, Peru for 1 month and 7 days. It's kind of hard for me to believe that I have lived, eaten, slept, and traveled in a South American country for that many days... and yes survived!! After our crazy week of traveling (in which my body thought it was a month the way it felt), this past week has been pretty chill and relaxing. Nothing too crazy has happened don't you worry because if it did... I would definitely be posting it. Here are a few hightlights of the past week.....

School. School. and more school. Yes, I know this is the reason for me to come to Lima, Peru for 4 months but after many days of traveling and having NO school, getting back into it was a little rough. But like always we had to do it and we had to be ready for it because in the week we came back we had 2 grammar quizzes (advanced grammar may I remind you), read and understand more Peruvian lit, and prepare ourselves for the scary midterm coming up in our Psychology class. Not to remind myself, I also have tests and homework in my online class.... I had to keep telling myself the wonderful, inspiring saying from my dad which is "Fin, if you work hard...then you can play hard!!" I hope all this working hard leads to the beach this weekend :) 

Last Thursday, Jorge's family hosted us a BBQ and it was amazing!! The sound of a BBQ was like heaven in my ears. All I could think of was good food!! :) How pathetic right? But like I said it was amazing. There was so much good food including, chicken wings, hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and of course some refreshments. Most of the group was there and it was so much fun hanging out with all of them. We danced or tried to dance and even tried to learn a little Bachata and Salsa thanks to Marina.  As I have said in previous blogs, they are my family and I am so blessed! All in all it was a fabulous night! :) 

Friday was a new and exciting day. We were going to go to a discoteca and a concert in Punta Hermosa. Tego Calderon was who we were going to see. Jorge was getting everything lined up and I was more than excited to go and dance the night away. The plan was to meet at Vivandas at 8 and then head to Daniel's house and then to the concert. As I am getting ready, Jorge calls me and says they are running a little late, so it's going to be closer to 9. Alright no big deal, I meet up with Missy and we go to her house to wait. Jorge then calls me again and says they are getting their haircuts and it's gonna be closer to 10! I think Jorge and Daniel are getting accustomed to Peruvian time. Oh and not to mention, Missy and I are waiting on boys...yes boys!! I thought it was supposed to be the other way around :). Oh well, we head to the club around 11. With only a few shananigans and dancing the night away, we returned home around 4 am. Maybe by the time I head back, I may be a good dancer... not!! :)
Some of our new Peruvian friends. :)
Saturday, we were all exhausted form our busy week at school and I was exhausted from going to the discoteca the night before. We decided on keeping it chill and relaxing by doing what we call "The American Night". Some of the group and I went to Papa Johns ate pizza, and came back to my apartment and watched a movie. It was relaxing but fun.

I spent Sunday with my family. My grandma (aka Heidi's mom) was visiting from Guardas. She was such a sweetheart and was so interested in my life in Nebraska. So of course I talked Nebraska and Ashton up like it was my job. She said she'd love to come visit. We had a great lunch and then had a few refreshments the rest of the day. My family is so great. They told me numerous times how lucky they are to have me as their first exchange student and that's great to hear when you are living 1,000s of miles away. I am so lucky!

Nothing too crazy has happened this past week but I would just say a normal week in Lima. Of course, the homesickness has set in and the things I miss the most are my family, my friends, my car, my house, the wonderful wonderful American food, my bed, and many  many other things. But I am doing okay thanks to my host family and the people I am here with. 

Here are a list of some memories I'll never want to forget....
**We (as in Americans) are all Gold members at Vivandas.
**The wonderful phrases by Nikki West- Yo soy una cocina! :)
        "I think it's a pretty universal sign! (flipping off someone)"
**Sometimes Peruvians like to take Sunday Funday to a whole new level.
**It's never cool when someone steals your glasses at a discoteca.
**When riding in a combi, sometimes you have to take lessons on how to hold the door closed, on the hinges, while going down the road. :) I was a bit nervous.

That's all for now but I'll be back soon!! Adios!! 
Sunsets never get old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment