Sunday, February 23, 2014

Here I am....

Here I am in Lima, Peru on day 44. I have come to the conclusion after a lot of time thinking, I am going to miss it here when I leave in April. At the beginning, I never thought I was going to say that but it's gonna be so crazy. One day I'll wake up in South America in my cute room in my family's apartment, and the next morning, I'll be waking up in my bed in Ashton, NE. It is so crazy, exciting, sad, surreal, and all those other things at the same time. But for right now, I'm gonna take each day as a new adventure. So here was my last week....

Monday: Just conversation class. Nothing too exciting happened, it was just a normal Monday. Don't worry, even in a foreign country, no one likes Mondays.

Tuesday: Today we had our first midterm in our psychology class. Oh boy, this could be rough! I go to school at 8, trying to fill my brain with as much psychology information as I could. My brain was hurting after that. We then also agreed and set up a conversation table with our grammar teacher with Peruvian students. The Peruvian students want to work on their English, and us Americans want to work on our Spanish. So we had conversation that afternoon. Some of us then decided we wanted to go to Parque de La Reserva, which is a beautiful park in Lima with beautiful fountains. Missy, Adam, Marina, and I jump in a taxi to get to the park. Clearly our taxi driver had no idea where this park was. So after getting out of that taxi and into a different taxi we finally made it!! We met Jorge, Nikki, and Amber there and were ready to be amazed.

There were so many beautiful fountains with music playing, and so many pretty colors. There was even a fountain you could walk through. I think the point was not to get wet, but there was a kiddo that was out to get Nikki, Missy, and I because we walked out a little damp. Oh well, it was so worth it! 
Obviously really excited!
So amazing!! Right before we got a little wet! :)


Wednesday: Just lit class. Nothing to crazy.

Thursday: We had our normal grammar class. Well I guess I shouldn't say normal since we had 2 quizzes in class but we all made it through. 

Friday: After our busy week of school, we were all craving Mexican, spicyness so Amber, Jorge, Nikki, and I decide to go to the district of Barranco to find the infamous Burrito Bar. Once we get to Barranco, we  really don't know where it is and all we know is there is no sign and it is a little nook in a building. Perfect! We are asking people, no one knows, we walk, and walk, and decide to give up when Nikki yells and runs across the street "I think I just saw the word burrito..." And she did!! We finally found it!

That night ended with us celebrating our midterm at Nikki's then went to a discoteca in Miraflores which of course was a blast! Dancing the night away is okay with me.

Saturday: I spent most of the morning relaxing. This consisted of reading on my kindle and watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. Rough life I know. I don't know what to do with all of this free time. While relaxing, I was talking to my mom and trying to figure out where in the heck is my package she sent me 3.5 weeks ago. We track it, and find out it is in Chimbote, Peru...which is in the northern part of Peru. I think to myself, I'm never gonna get it. But I am still hopeful. That night, Missy and I were going to go with her host sister Karla to a discoteca in Barranco. As I am getting ready to walk out of the apartment, the guy (one of the many guards at my apartment) that I have asked 7x if my package has arrived says "Hay un paquete aqui." He didn't need to say anymore, I was so excited I couldn't even speak Spanish and started crying happy tears. I am sure they are all thinking, geez crazy gringa! :) I run upstairs and tear it open. Inside is chocolate, candy and pictures of my family but also presents for my host family. My family is seriously the best! Andrea, Heidi, and Victor loved their gifts. I then called mom & skped with her and dad for a bit. Dad was talking to grandma so I was able to talk to her through skype and the phone at home! BEST DAY EVER! I then meet up with Missy and Karla and we head to Barranco to dance the night away again.
Best Mail in my life!

Missy is the sweetest girl I know!
Sunday: Today has been a good day. I've done a lot of catching up on homework. Heidi and Victor had a couple friends over so we went out to lunch. I had my first taste of Leche del Tigre which is a fancy way of saying the juice in ceviche. It was okay. But hey I tried it :). The rest of the day has been committed to homework and hanging out with my family.
Leche del Tigre con Gisselle y Heidi

So here I am... in Lima, Peru finally getting adjusted to life. I have come to know one thing here and that is arriving home at 4 is not only accepted but also expected!! Welcome to the crazy life of Peru! 
Love & Miss you all!! Keep reading! Adios!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment